Cleanliness is a significant factor that makes any kind of accommodation more inviting to the guests. A guest expects to walk into a spotless house when they are paying to live in a place that’s not their home. It is also a significant criterion that affects their decision when they sit down to rate the overall experience of staying at your Airbnb. As the times have changed and the world is struck with the Covid-19 pandemic, infectious disease experts have shown a greater inclination towards private rentals like Airbnb as they consider them to be a safer bet when traveling. This is due to the fact that there is decreased person-to-person contact in private rentals as compared to hotels.
Airbnb has also introduced a new ‘Enhanced Cleaning’ policy to provide cleaning guidelines to host. You can either clean the vacation rental yourself or hire professional help who’d wipe everything clean like no one ever lived there. No matter what you choose, having a checklist always helps to take a quick run-through and ensure everything is perfect.
What are New Airbnb Cleaning Policies?
Airbnb has provided enhanced cleaning process guidelines for the hosts to ensure accommodation for guests and hosts. The hosts are given three options under which they can list their homes. These guidelines are provided by US Center for Disease Control and Prevention and were created in collaboration with former US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy along with other health and hospitality experts.
The first option has the most requirements. Hosts are required to enroll and participate in a learning and certification program known as the Cleaning Protocol. This Protocol necessitates guidelines for hosts like utilizing personal protective equipment including masks and gloves whoever enters the house premises to prepare the rental for guests. The cleaning is to be done with disinfectants that have been approved by regulatory authorities.
No one is supposed to enter the private rental premises for 24hours after a guest checks out. The listing can not be available for bookings on the same day that the previous guest checked out. This is to ensure that any airborne particles present have settled out of the air, although experts assert that only a few hours are required for that to happen.
The next option for hosts is called Booking Buffer, which is less stringent on the cleaning side but mandates a longer time waiting period between guests. Hosts not who enroll in the Cleaning Protocol, due to its tougher requirements, may instead opt into this tier that necessitates a longer vacancy period between bookings. Reservations will be automatically blocked during that timeframe, which is currently set at 72 hours.
With Booking Buffer, hosts or cleaners are still required to maintain a 24 hour waiting period after a guest leaves before entering the premises, and then another 48 hours must pass before a new guest’s arrival.
The third option is to restraint participating in any of the programs and stick to their existing cleaning protocols, Airbnb will reflect this in their listings.
We have compiled a thorough Airbnb cleaning checklist that you can use during every changeover. Make sure your vacation rental is adequately cleaned and guest-ready for your next guests.
Airbnb Cleaning Checklist: Cleaning Plan Must-Have
As mentioned previously, guests constantly review the cleanliness of a place and leave a comment on Airbnb.
It is advisable to put more effort into cleaning. Otherwise, you’d end up investing a lot of time and resources in managing bad reviews. Airbnb also provides you with the option of charging a separate Airbnb Cleaning Fee to cover your costs.
Below is a list of cleaning checklist for Airbnb, including all the essential services that you should perform for each changeover:
- Thoroughly scan your rental and discard the stuff left behind by previous renters
- Change the linens, wash used ones and make the beds
- Clean the kitchen spotless and put away everything that has no place on the countertop
- Dust and wipe every surface in the house
- Clean the floors and vacuum the carpets, rugs, and mats
- Scrub the toilets, bathtubs, and showers
- Don’t forget to clean countertops, door handles, and light switches
- Discard all the trash and clean the dustbins
- Restock amenities promised by you like coffee, trash bags, paper towels, hand soap, etc.
- Clean the transparent and reflective surfaces
- Disinfect any germ prone area
- Add the finishing touches before leaving
Must Have Cleaning Supplies
If you have decided to do the cleaning yourself, then the below-mentioned cleaning products form an essential part of the Airbnb cleaning checklist:
- A good vacuum cleaner
- Enough supply of microfiber cloths
- A microfiber mop
- Glass cleaner
- Wood cleaner and polish to make the wooden furniture look as good as new
- All-purpose cleaner and disinfectant
- Dishwashing Soap
- Shower cleaner
- A toilet brush
- Disinfectant for such germ-prone areas
- A scrubbing brush
- Scrub Pads
This list comprises basic cleaning supplies, so you might want to add more products that suit the requirements of your vacation home.
Vacation Home Cleaning Checklist
While we know the basics of cleaning your Airbnb, there are still several things you would need to focus on depending on each room of your property. We have compiled a detailed list of everything you’d need to take care of according to the purpose of each room.
In light of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, proper cleaning and disinfecting of the surfaces in the house has become of paramount importance.
Kitchen is one of the primary reasons why Airbnb vacation rentals are so popular among travelers. A well-stocked and well-furnished kitchen allows them to cook their meals and feel more at home. This can also make up a significant factor for your Airbnb Pricing Strategy. The vacation home cleaning checklist will be incomplete without including these essentials for your kitchen.
- Disinfect everything; food is supposed to be prepared in this area
- Wipe down the surfaces of all appliances, worktops, drawers, and cupboards with a disinfectant
- Scrub all the utensils, even those which your previous guests haven’t used
- A clean stove is a must
- Clean hoods and vents
- Clean the microwave inside and out with a good cleaner
- Clear out the refrigerator and clean it thoroughly from inside
- Clean the sink and sink drain
- Discard any leftover food
- Discard the trash and replace it with a fresh garbage bag
- Wipe the windows and mop the floors
Clean Living Rooms
Living room space will most likely be the most used area in the house. It will probably be the dirtiest as well. You might need to pay extra attention to your living room when preparing an Airbnb Cleaning Checklist as your guests will unwind here, and hence, you would like it more if it is more inviting and uncluttered.
- Wipe down all the surfaces
- Polish all the wooden furniture
- Wipe all the light switches and remotes with a disinfectant
- Vacuum all sofas
- Thoroughly clean under furniture
- Mop hard-surface floors
- Vacuum all rugs and mats
- Ensure there are no cobwebs
- Wipe the windows
- Dust baseboards and moldings
The bathroom condition is usually the first thing that a guest checks and determines if they like the house or not based on that assessment. Therefore, a clean, odorless bathroom is a must if you want to see good reviews for your vacation rental on Airbnb.
Here are a few things that will aid you in cleaning and disinfecting your bathroom thoroughly:
- Sanitize the toilet
- Clean the sink and mirrors until they are shining
- Spot clean the shower
- Scrub glass shower screen and make it spotless
- Unclog and clean drain holes
- Take out the trash and replace the trash bags with fresh ones
The bedroom is that place where your guests will relax and sleep away from the exhaustion from traveling. It is your duty as a good host to provide a clean and tidy bedroom to your guests where they can get a good night’s sleep.
- Strip away the linens and use fresh ones
- Empty the bins
- Dust all surfaces
- Wipe the windows and mirrors
- Wipe the light switches, doorknobs, and remotes with a disinfectant
- Clean light-fixures and ceiling fans
- Clean away all the cobwebs
- Make sure the dressers and closets are empty
- Polish all the wooden surfaces
- Clean under the bed
- Vacuum the mattress and the unreachable corners
- Clean the floor
- Fluff the pillows and cushions
- Clean the curtains periodically
- Vacuum the rugs and carpet
Clean Utility Rooms
Utility rooms like laundry rooms might not receive much foot traffic, but they are also essential for your Airbnb cleaning checklist. These are some things to take care of to ensure that your utility rooms are as spotless as any other room in the house:
- Clean the dryer for any trash or lint build-up
- Wipeout washer and dryer inside and out
- Disinfect the frequently touched surfaces like knobs, buttons, and doors of the machines
- Shine the sink and clear out the sink drain
- Clean windows and blinds if any
- Restock all the supplies you provide, like laundry detergent, and softener
- Clean the laundry baskets and drying racks
- Dust baseboards and moldings
- Clean the floors
- Vacuum the rugs and mats
- Ensure there is no water-logging
It is entirely on your discretion what you choose to provide to your guests to make their stay more pleasing. We have listed out a few things that hosts usually offer, and if you are one of them, then don’t forget to refill these items:
- Paper towel
- Toilet Rolls
- Bin liners
- Garbage bags
- Dish soap
- Facial tissues
- Hand soap
- Toiletries like shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and body lotion
Make Sure Everything works
Airbnb Cleaning Checklist also includes ensuring that everything in your house is working correctly. Here are some things that you check quickly before your guests arrive and fix whatever needs fixing:
- Ensure all lights are working
- Check the taps for any leaks
- Make sure the fans, air conditioning, TV and heaters are working
- Check the kitchen appliances
- Make sure the stove is working properly
- Don’t forget about replacing the batteries in remotes, fire alarms, etc.
- Fix any broken pieces of furniture
Some Finishing touches
Before your guests arrive, you can quickly add these finishing touches to make your accommodation more inviting and give your guest a place like home. You can price your vacation rental according to the services you provide.
- If you have any outdoor areas like porches, balconies, and entertaining outdoor spaces, then clean them thoroughly for any dust, debris, leaves, etc., that might find their way into the house with your guests. Ensure everything is tidy. It is the first thing your guests will see about your home.
- Plump up the cushions, straighten rugs, arrange decor items, leave out guest information booklets, redraw blinds and curtains.
- If you are one of those who like to go the extra mile for your guests, like providing them with complimentary chocolates, wine, flowers, bread & cheese, or vouchers, then we are with you. Make sure everything is out and neatly arranged. If you have a welcome board, set that up with the guests’ names.
A short-term rental is expected to be as clean as any pricey hotel. It is more important to maintain the cleanliness standards as guests are more skeptical about rentals and hotels in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. However, if you get a lot of bookings and intend to continue being a good host, cleaning out your vacation rental will soon become a full-time job.
It is advisable that you have a protocol set up to clean out your space quickly or have the professional cleaner’s numbers on speed dial. We hope that this Airbnb cleaning checklist helps you to arrange your property for your guests quickly.
All you got to do is check off everything in the list and forget about ever addressing any complaints regarding cleanliness or upkeep of your property from your guests.