The pandemic brought about a new wave of human behaviors. It changed our lifestyle, how we behave, work and also travel. Being bound to our homes for nearly two years, most people were more eager than ever to get out of those four walls and explore the boundless world! With or without a travel companion, everybody wanted to just explore the length and breadth of the world. The pandemic fueled solo travel and also the need for a safety feature for solo travelers.
In their internal data, Airbnb found that 26% of all nights booked in 2021 were by solo travelers. More than 50% of these bookings were long-term stays in 2022. Airbnb realized the increased demand for solo travel. That’s why their Trust Team started working on safety features for solo travelers.
They came up with safety features for solo travelers so that they were taken care of when enjoying their travel.
New Safety Feature for Solo Travelers
With over 6M listings, they pride themselves in providing every form of accommodation for their guests. For now, only English-speaking guests from over the globe can avail of this feature when booking private rooms or shared spaces.
Airbnb says, “it strives to be a place where anyone can belong and feel safe while traveling.’
In an interview with Bloomberg Technology, Brian Chesky mentioned that there will be two updates: Summer and Winter. The company has mentioned that they will also include additional countries and languages and entire home listings.
What Does This Latest Safety Feature for Solo-Travelers Include?
- Get expert tips about the location and other expert tips that might help them during their stay at the property.
- Guests can now share their whole travel itinerary with a trusted person. The itinerary includes listing address, reservation code, and check-in and out dates.
- You might have questions about the property, the location, etc. Airbnb helps you out here by giving you quick question prompts to ask the host. The host can also help you with local insights that might help you stay safe during the trip.
- Their local emergency services feature will be available 24/7 regardless of an ongoing booking. With a single touch, you would be able to contact the local emergency service like 911 for the US. The feature is available in 70 countries.
- You can also add an emergency contact in case of unfortunate incidents. This is visible only to Airbnb.
As a guest, Airbnb’s update is going to make them feel safe. it is what you as a host do, that is actually going to make a difference.
Safety Tips Hosts can take to Successfully Host Solo-travelers
Personal safety is a big question for many travelers. And an even bigger question for solo travelers. You need to make sure that solo travelers feel safe and comfortable in your accommodation.
- Be upfront. Try to be as honest as possible about your property and the location in your listing. Do you have a police station close by? Mention it. Is there some sort of unrest in your locality? Mention it. But also mention if it is manageable and peaceful. If it is not, you should not be listing your property during those dates
- Develop an accessible safety strategy for guests. You can include emergency contacts, a plan during a fire or any other safety hazard, emergency exit routes, alarms, and any other information that you think would be necessary for your guest to know. This way they would be equipped for any type of disaster if it should happen.
- Set house rules and guidelines. Let them know what your guests can or can not do on your property. For example, if you do not allow for raves, mention it. If they have to take your permission before bringing in guests, mention it. There are specific rules and restrictions for each locality. It is important for your guest to be aware of it.
- Maintain a safe and secure property. You need to make sure that your property is equipped with all safety measures to keep your guest safe. This includes alarm systems, security gates, fire extinguishers, pool covers, etc. All of this will help guests’ stay to be a little more comfortable. It is also important to make sure you have a safe in your house. This way your guests can securely store their valuables without the constant fear of theft.
How to Leverage the Recent Airbnb Update to Get More Bookings
Airbnb has recently upgraded its platform after about a decade. They have thought of various scenarios and provided the best solutions for their consumers including the safety feature for solo travelers. It is important to understand and leverage various Airbnb hosting tips and tricks to provide a good guest experience.
It is important to make sure that you as a host leverage this new change.
- Create a manual. As soon as you receive a booking, it is important to get in touch with the guest and communicate the booking details with them. This will make them feel safe and know that there is someone they can talk to. In the case of a solo traveler, it is important to make sure that you are providing them with specific details of your property. This will give your guests a sense of protection. They’ll breathe a sigh of relief knowing they booked a safe stay.
- Keep refreshing your listing in equal intervals. Airbnb promotes newer stays more than it odes older ones. If you hide or snooze your listing for about 24 hours and make them live again, Airbnb’s algorithm will consider your listing to be new and promote it further. In this reboot, you can also slightly change or alter the information that you’ve already provided in your listing. You can maybe add different but good pictures, you can slightly change the description to add more stuff, and also keep updating your internet speed test (I’ll come that next).
- Maintain impeccable internet. Anybody right now can not survive without the internet. Our jobs are dependent on the internet. So it is important that you provide high-speed wifi at your property. In the recent Airbnb update, you can keep updating your property’s wifi’s internet speed to the listing. This will keep your guests informed of how good an internet connection you have. This is more important for solo travelers because only with the help of the internet can they keep their loved ones apprised of their whereabouts.
Guests can enjoy their solo travel adventure while everything else is taken care of by Airbnb. Hosts can happily host solo travelers while being aware that their guests are safe. While Airbnb protects both guests and hosts through Aircover, it is important to remember that you will also need travel and medical insurance.
Traveling in any form and shape is refreshing. It is important to also make sure that you are protected. Airbnb has taken a step forward in ensuring you are protected when traveling alone. You can sit back and rejoice in your trip while being completely peaceful. Imagine this; you are in a beach-front villa during the transition from summer to winter. The climate is perfect, you are sipping on a couple of sangrias. You have nothing to worry about.